Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Strategies for Assessing Musical Understanding in Composing Experiences

As a teacher, I am always looking for ways to better understand how my students think as composer-musicians. I often ask myself questions like:
  • What are their conceptions and misconceptions about music and musical process?
  • What are their challenges in the composing process?
  • What are their musical intentions?
I have found the following three techniques to provide many insights that have helped me be a better teacher and more importantly, my students to be better peer-teachers.

Composers' Commentaries


When I watch a DVD, I have the option at the end of the movie (or even at the beginning) to watch the move with overdubbed commentaries by the director and often the actors who made the movie. These commentaries provide additional information and insight into the processes of creating the film. Because I wanted to learn more about what my students were thinking as they composed their pieces and what they thought was important to share with the listeners of their compositions, I ask my students to record an additional commentary track on each of their compositions.

When students are finished with their compositions, they save one version with the commentary, and another without it. Here is an example of a composition entitled Rock to the Beat by one of my 6th grade students, Jessica Walton:


powered by ODEO

What insights do you have into her compositional process and musical understanding after listening to her composition?

Here is her piece with her recorded commentary:

powered by ODEO

What insights do you have into her compositional process and musical understanding after listening to her composition with recorded commentary?

Emergent Encyclopedia of Composing

When I first discovered the Wikipedia website, I was intrigued by its underlying concept - a website where anyone could easily contribute and collaborate to create an online encyclopedia. One of the first ideas I had a music teacher was to adapt this concept for use to support my students classroom composing experiences. Wouldn't it be cool to have my students create an online encyclopedia of composing that contained their suggestions for what made a good piece of music and their own successful strategies for composing and working with our composing tools?

Click here to see what they created

Composition Logs

After reading a great online article by writing researcher and educator Katie Wood Ray entitled Read Like a Teacher of Writing, I decided to have my students create composition logs of each etude and composition they created throughout our middle school general music classes. When students start a composition, they begin to fill out their composition log. They revisit this log again when they decide to either abandon or finish their compositions. Here's a link to the composition log we use:

Our Composition Log

No comments: